Summary Report from 3GPP plenaries (mainly RAN) #98e (Electronic meeting, 12 - 16 December 2022)
Hans van der Veen, NEC Laboratories Europe GmbH
- Most Rel-17 RAN4 performance Work Items for non-spectrum topics were closed, but two remain open:
- Extending current NR operation to 71GHz
- Solutions for NR to support non-terrestrial networks (NTN)
- Rel-18 RAN ASN.1 freeze was changed to June 2024 to align with CT
- Rel-18 Stage 2 and Stage 3 (SA/CT) were extended to June 2023 and March 2024 respectively
- No new Rel-18 work was allowed in RAN, except normative follow-up work on earlier studies:
- Expanded and Improved NR Positioning
- Network energy savings for NR
- XR Enhancements for NR
- A normative phase for network verified UE location for NTN (Non-Terrestrial Networks)
- No upscoping of existing Rel-18 work was allowed in RAN
No change was made to the original RAN Rel-18 timeline, except alignment of the ASN.1 freeze date with CT.
The first figure is edited from RP-222730 to show the change. The second figure comes from the joint session with SA and CT. For Rel-19, the first figure shows tentative planning in RAN: Workshop in May/June, RAN1/2/3 package approval in December.
Devices not compliant to 3GPP specifications (Summary: RP-223443)
A solution was proposed to handle terminals in the field that are not compliant to 3GPP specifications. It was confirmed that by "non-compliant UE" those UEs are meant that that do not implement mandatory functions. Many companies see this not as a RAN aspect but rather related to the NAS layer. No consensus could be reached.
3GPP discussed submission towards IMT-2020 Satellite. Most companies agreed that the evaluation and submission shall cover Rel-17 NR-NTN and Rel-17 NTN-IoT but no consensus could be reached.
Rel-17 Planning and progress (RAN4 non-spectrum performance work almost completed)
Stage 1: frozen December 2019 with exceptions; Stage 1 work completed by June 2020
RAN work package: approved December 2019
Stage 2: frozen June 2021 with exceptions; Stage 2 work completed by June 2022.
RAN1: frozen December 2021
RAN2/3/4 core functionality: frozen March 2022 with exceptions; RAN2/3/4 core work completed by September 2022.
Stage 3: frozen March 2022 with exceptions; Stage 3 work completed by September 2022.
ASN.1 and open APIs: frozen June 2022. September 2022 version is recommended for implementation.
RAN4: Most performance WIs are now closed. Two open non-spectrum WIs remain, with target date March 2023:
- Perf.: Extending current NR operation to 71GHz (85%)
- Perf.: Solutions for NR to support non-terrestrial networks (NTN) (98%)
Closed Rel-17 Work Items and Study Items (excluding spectrum-related and conformance testing)
- Perf.: Further enhancements on MIMO for NR
- Perf.: NR coverage enhancements
- Perf.: Support of reduced capability NR devices
- Perf.: Enhanced Industrial Internet of Things (IoT) and ultra-reliable low latency communication (URLLC) support for NR
- Perf.: NR small data transmissions in INACTIVE state
- Perf.: NR repeaters
Rel-17 RAN Work Item Summaries (descriptions of features in the release after the work has actually finished)
- RP-223491 NB-IoT (Narrowband IoT)/eMTC (enhanced Machine Type Communication) core & performance requirements for Non-Terrestrial Networks (NTN)
Rel-17 SA Work Item Summaries (descriptions of features in the release after the work has actually finished)
- SP-221202 Adapting BEST for use in 5G networks
- SP-221269 5G Multicast-Broadcast User Service Architecture
Rel-18 Planning and progress (ASN.1 freeze changed to June 2024 to align with CT; Stage 2 and Stage 3 +3 months)
Stage 1: frozen December 2021 without exceptions
RAN1/2/3 work package: approved December 2021
RAN4 work package: approved March 2022
Stage 2: freezing target June 2023
RAN1: freezing target September 2023
RAN2/3/4 core functionality: freezing target December 2023
Stage 3: freezing target March 2024
ASN.1 and open APIs: freezing target June 2024 (review date March 2024)
RAN4: freezing target June 2024
Closed Rel-18 Work Items and Study Items (excluding spectrum-related and conformance testing)
- SI: Study on Network energy savings for NR
- SI: Study on Study on expanded and improved NR positioning
- Core: High Power UE support for NR bands n100 and n101 for Rail Mobile Radio (RMR) in Europe (stopped)
- Core: NB-IoT (Narrowband IoT)/eMTC (enhanced Machine Type Communication) core & performance requirements for Non-Terrestrial Networks (NTN)
A TR skeleton was agreed. SA1 use cases will be handled in two groupings with the following starting points: Grouping A (Indoor, Outdoor, Indoor/outdoor) and Grouping B (Inventory, Sensors, Positioning, Command). Discussion of CN-related aspects will be under the third objective of the SID. 'Environment of device' can be 'indoor', 'outdoor', 'indoor or outdoor'. 'Basestation characteristic' can be: macro-cell based deployment, micro-cell based deployment, pico-cell base deployment, or none. The study considers Ambient IoT deployment in-band to NR, in guard-band of NR, and standalone band from NR, and FFS: relationship to deployment scenarios. Spectrum in a deployment scenario is: licensed FDD, licensed TDD, unlicensed. FFS: whether the TR will describe different types of device-terminated traffic, e.g. Device-Terminated command and Device-Terminated reporting trigger, and whether to describe relationships between device-originated and device-terminated traffic.
Rel-18 NR: AI/ML for NR air interface (Summary: RP-223507)
The representative sub use cases were confirmed according to RAN1.
The FR2 topic is continued as a "study" only objective with both RAN1 and RAN2 involvement. The CA objective will be revisited in March, including the possibility of including it in Rel-18 with minimal WG efforts, or dropping it from Rel-18 but re-considering it in Rel-19. For the SL-U objective, the work should focus on FR1 unlicensed bands (n46 and n96/n102).
Power control was removed from the core objective. There was no consensus on dynamic power control, and not sufficient support for semi-static power control.
The scope was changed for as follows: For CHO including MCG and SCG a solution to avoid unnecessary signalling exchange between source MN and target SN was added, and to study and specify how to reuse the IDLE/INACTIVE mode measurement results which are to be reported during and/or after RRC connection setup/resume in order to improve SCell/SCG setup delay.
A separate bullet was added in the objective to specify support of Rel-17 MUSIM gaps.
The objective was changed to specify mechanisms to support multi-path scenarios.
The objective was changed to specify enhancements to NR PC5 and LTE PC5 to support UAV identification broadcast. Due to strong operator concern, operator licensed bands were explicitly excluded.
A normative phase for network verified UE location was approved.
The RAN4 recommendation to add band n79 as a target band for 8Rx was agreed.
The L3 measurement delay objective was removed from the scope.
Approved Rel-18 Work Items and Study Items (excluding spectrum-related and conformance testing)
- RP-223549 WI: Expanded and Improved NR Positioning
Keywords: Specify (1) Solutions for support of sidelink positioning (including ranging) in NR systems; (2) Error modelling parameters, signalling, and procedures to support UE-based and LMF-based integrity of RAT-dependent positioning methods; (3) Enhancements for enabling LPHAP use-case 6 as defined in TS 22.104; (4) Support of positioning for UEs with Reduced Capabilities (RedCap UEs); (5) Bandwidth aggregation for positioning measurements across up to three intra-band contiguous carriers; (6) Physical layer measurements and signalling to support NR DL and UL carrier phase positioning for UE-based, UE-assisted, and NG-RAN node assisted positioning; (7) Define extensions of signalling, protocol, and procedure for NR positioning enhancement, as needed for the above objectives.
- RP-223540 WI: Network energy savings for NR
Keywords: Specify (1) SSB-less SCell operation for inter-band CA for FR1 and co-located cells, if found feasible; (2) Enhancement on cell DTX/DRX mechanism; (3) Techniques in spatial and power domains (CSI and beam management related procedures); (4) Mechanism(s) to prevent legacy UEs camping on cells adopting the Rel-18 NES techniques; (5) CHO procedure enhancement(s) in case source/target cell is in NES mode; (6) Inter-node beam activation and enhancements on restricting paging in a limited area; (7) Corresponding RRM/RF core requirements
- RP-223502 WI: XR Enhancements for NR
Keywords: Specify enhancements related to (1) Power saving (DRX support of XR frame rates corresponding to non-integer periodicities); (2) Capacity; (3) XR Awareness
Rel-19 Planning (New)
RAN Workshop: May/June 2023
SA Workshop: Possibly June 2023 (not yet confirmed)
Stage 1: freeze December 2023 (80% normative work by September 2023)
RAN1/2/3 work package: planned to be approved December 2023
RAN4 work package: planned to be approved March 2024
All other deadlines/milestones to be defined, latest by June 2023 for SA/CT